It is a great pleasure to have you here with us on this special occasion, celebrating the achievements of the current year and welcoming our new Rotary year.I would like to start by thanking DG Saeed, DDG Yaseen and my club for placing their confidence and trust in me to serve as a President.
It is indeed a great honour for me to be standing here in front of you as the 7th president of the Rotary Club of Dubai.
Our club has been built on a strong leadership foundation, and I am fortunate to have a membership that is fully committed to the Rotary ideal of Service Above Self, and continues to go the extra mile in building the club, and carrying out the worthwhile projects that benefit our community.
The theme for this year is “Rotary: Making a difference” and in the words of RI’S President Ian Riseley “To me, Rotary is defined not by who we are, but by what we do — by the potential that Rotary gives us, and the ways we realize that potential in meaningful and lasting service……… We answer the question “What is Rotary?” with our actions, by making a difference through our service.”
I am confident that all of you stand for truth, fairness, goodwill, the benefit of all concerned and service above self. With the help and support of the Board members and fellow Club members, I will do my best to lead the challenge and make a positive difference this year.
How will we make a difference?
- Have fun and seek out opportunities for service
- Attract members with different perspectives and backgrounds to fuel innovation and give us a broader understanding of our community’s needs.
- Increase club membership’ diversity by having more female members and young members
- Sponsor an Interact and involve young people in Rotary.
- Make the club 100% Paul Harris
- Seek long term partnership with a local initiative within our community
- Have themed fellowship events in line with the Rotary Calendar, in addition to our weekly meetings
I would like to take this opportunity to thank President Hamdi and the previous directors for the work they have done over the past year. It has been a pleasure working with you. I learned a lot and I look forward for your continued support this year.
To the new board, I look forward to serving with you. I have already seen the energy, enthusiasm and commitment that you bring to the Board. I’m sure it will be an exciting fun year of service with all of you.
Now allow me to introduce the new board of 2017-18
- Hamdi Osman Immediate Past President
- Anthony Cerchiai Secretary General
- Hassan AlRais 1st VP & Treasurer
- Pasquale Dela Penna 2nd VP &Fellowship chair
- David Gibson Moore Foundation Chair
- James Berry Projects Chair
- Sami Carouba Youth Chair
- Lina Koutly Sergeant At Arms
In addition to the board, I would like to announce that Mr. Samir Kanaan is appointed as an Advisor to the President.
On behalf of the members of the club, I would like to thank you for accepting these roles and wish you luck in the coming year.